Joe's New Blog

Nothing special, this is just my third effort at writing a blog about my life and what goes on in it: Hobbies, cooking, work, maybe the occasional book or DVD review, and so forth. Nothing really noteworthy, but this is sort of a little subset of my world...

Saturday, March 20, 2010

This blog has moved

This blog is now located at
You will be automatically redirected in 30 seconds, or you may click here.

For feed subscribers, please update your feed subscriptions to

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Daily Journal: Day 100 of 365

Today was another crappy day at work. I did manage to get an hour and a half of filing done, but that’s about it. Turns out that Steven had the day off, so it was the two drivers and the new porter and me. At least I managed to get a little bit of stuff done before I got called back to the drive.

On the further downside of the day, I think I lost one of the department’s walkie-talkies in someone’s car. I wonder how much one of those costs…

And I got invited to lunch by the department managers tomorrow. I’m not sure what that’s going to be all about, but I’m guessing that it will be an ego-stroking session complimenting me on helping out on the drive. I guess we’ll see.

After we got home today, we took Ernie down to Petsmart to get some more dog food. As always, people thought he was just adorable. We also stopped at Kroger for a few things, and I waited outside with him while the girlfriend went in the store. He didn’t get a lot of direct attention there, but a number of people smiled and waved at him as they went past. He’s always a hit.

And now, because I need to get up earlier than usual for his vet appointment tomorrow, I’m going to go to bed…

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Daily Journal: Day 99 of 365

It was another day of basically being a porter at work. When I got there, I thought I was going to be able to do some of my own work. One of the drivers had called in sick again, but they had Steven, the regular porter, and Raoul, the new guy, both there. So I took about half of the paperwork down to the file room and told the ladies up front to give me a call if it started backing up on the drive and I’d come back and help out.

I wound up getting about ten minutes of filing done before they called me. And for the rest of the morning, I was being a porter. When I finally got a bit of time where everything seemed to be caught up for a bit, they needed me to go take someone home. In the end, I never got back to the file room at all, except to get my thermos of coffee and bring it back to the service drive. So now I’ve got at least five days of filing backed up, and it doesn’t look all that great to get any done tomorrow.

The one nice thing is that Steven mentioned to me that he really appreciated all the help that I’ve been giving them. Not that management has really commented or anything. But at least the people in the trenches seem to notice sometimes, and that’s nice.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Daily Journal: Day 98 of 365

For the most part, it was another crap day at work. At least Steven, one of the regular porters, got there at about the same time I did today. I nevertheless spent most of the morning running my ass off trying to get cars parked and pulled up and greeting people on the drive. It’s getting pretty close to time to update the old resume and start serious fishing for new employment.

On the plus side, driving took up a fair bit of the afternoon, and they were mostly fairly easy drives. Another good thing today was that they did finally hire another porter. So for this week, we’ll still be a little understaffed, but at least it won’t be like the past four or five work days. I was thinking about possibly asking management what the odds are of my becoming a service advisor, but the more I think about it, the less good an idea it seems. I don’t know, though. It would still probably be a lot more money than what I’m making right now.

After work today, I stopped at the grocery store. I had to pick up coffee, since the last of it went into this morning’s pot. I also got sandwich stuff for lunches and a few other snack type things. Unfortunately, I forgot to get the Sunday paper while I was there. I guess I’ll hold off until next week.

Last night, I installed Dragon Naturally Speaking on the computer. The manual says that you can use a portable recorder, like the one I have, to dictate away from your computer and turn it into text later. Unfortunately, neither the manual nor the help file ever mention loading files to use for dictation, so I’m guessing that they mean you have to play back the dictation into the line-in jack of the computer and convert it that way. Which would suck, because my recorder can transfer over the recorded files in digital form much faster than it can play them back. I’d hoped I could just open them and have it do the speech-to-text conversion digitally, but I’m guessing that’s not an option. Oh well.

And now, it’s getting far too late, so it’s off to bed with me…

Daily Journal: Day 97 of 365

It’s been a long day today. We got up fairly early to take Ernie to his class. That went all right. We haven’t really done as much of the homework as we should have over the past week or so, but we got some more helpful hints and such, and I think it’ll still continue to improve.

We stopped at my storage unit on the way home and picked up some of the plywood I have there. I’m planning to use at least part of it to make a more permanent gate to keep Ernie from exploring the upstairs. Right now, we’re just using a big box, and it’s rather inconvenient to say the least.

I got a call from Tom, the drummer down in Lewisville. He had to cancel out yesterday, but he called and I drove down to his place to jam a bit today. Unfortunately it was just the two of us, and that never really makes for a great session. He’s something of a major talker, and a bit of a space cadet it seems to me, but maybe something good will come of it. We’ll have to see.

I just had to print out a pattern for the girlfriend’s mom, and I installed Dragon Naturally Speaking while I was at it, but now it’s getting way too late and I need to get to bed while I can still get a little sleep…

Friday, March 12, 2010

Daily Journal: Day 95 of 365

It was quite a fucked up day at work today. I got to work at about the usual time, a little late because there was another overturned tractor-trailer rig just off the freeway exit. And I was greeted with the announcement that there were no porters today. Plus one of the other drivers called in sick, so it was pretty much me and the two young techs who they ask to cover once in a while. I guess the day didn’t go horribly badly, considering, but it looks like it’s only going to be worse next week. One of the porters got fired, one has the week off, and the two techs who cover sometimes both have classes they need to attend all week. So it’ll be me and the drivers all morning all week. Great scheduling, managers…

I did the post office run this morning, which was something I hadn’t done before. Not really all that exciting. It’s just dropping off the outbound mail and checking the couple of post office boxes. Of course, it was a little more exciting because I nearly got hit by people turning against red lights, not once, but twice. I can’t believe how pathetically badly so many people drive around here.

I thought there was one little bright side to the day when I was picking up one of the customers this afternoon. He works for a division of HP that does mid-sized company database migrations and the like. We talked about my background and such, and he said he’d leave me his e-mail address and I should send him my resume if I was interested in getting back into the field. Unfortunately, he didn’t leave that e-mail address. I guess I could find his phone number and call him. I’ll see tomorrow.

And no one’s replied about the hockey tickets. Oh well…

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Daily Journal: Day 94 of 365

Yesterday I wound up being completely shut out on the driving front after all. Fortunately, the weather was quite nice all evening. While waiting around for cars to pull up, I called Tom, the drummer from Lewisville. We’re going to get together on Saturday and see whether we have any musical common ground. He’s going to see if he can get anyone else over to play, which would be cool. The whole bass and drums by themselves thing never seems to work out all that well for me.

I also got a call from Scott, who was supposed to go to the hockey game with me this Sunday. He got volunteered for something at his church, so he had to back out. I don’t really feel like begging anyone to go with me, so I’m going to see if I can sell the tickets on Craigslist or something of that nature.

This morning, I finally got the release to do the filing that’s been backed up for the past three days. I managed to get done with about three quarters of it, and hopefully I’ll be able to get the rest caught up tomorrow. Today was a pretty slow day, so I don’t think I’ll have too much trouble.

As I was walking back and forth to the file room with the couple of large stacks of papers, the severe thunderstorm warning from the Weather Channel came to fruition. There was a little bit of hail, but mostly it just poured down buckets. It took me two trips, and by the time I was done, my pants were completely drenched from the rain blowing sideways into them. Fortunately, I’d worn my rain jacket, so the rest of me wasn’t too bad off. And about twenty minutes after I got settled in the file room, the rain stopped. When I went out an hour or so later, the sun was shining and it was probably about 75 degrees. It would figure that I did all my trips during the half hour of the day when it was pouring.

The afternoon was pretty dead again. I had one pickup, which was just up the freeway. Aside from that, I was just a porter again. Again, the weather was nice, but it was boring and I’d rather have been doing something halfway useful instead. Oh well. Guess I should head down to the college and try to get those summer classes set up. Maybe then I can start looking for a better job…